A little while ago I discovered HEMA in Paris, it is actually a Dutch store and it has great quality stuff for cheap, my American friend told me it is not a patch on Target but I am in Paris, HEMA is in Paris and HEMA had a really cute heart shaped ravioli cutter so Target Smarget. So armed with my 3€ ravioli cutter I set about making some ravioli. I served the finished product with the Tomato & Caper Sauce Recipe.
you will need;
(for the pasta)
4 eggs at room temperature
400g ’00’ pasta flour
(for the filling)
salt & pepper
- Place the pasta flour onto a clean dry work surface and crack the eggs into a well in the centre. Incorporate the flour into the eggs and knead for 5mins. The dough should not be sticky or wet. Wrap in a teacloth and rest at room temperature for an hour.
- Meanwhile you can prepare the filling. Put the aubergine on baking tray whole, no piercing or oiling and leave in the oven at 180C until they are soft inside. You will know this as their shape will collapse in on itself when touched.
- Finely chop the shallots, in a pan soften them in the butter on a low heat.
- Scrape the flesh from the aubergines and add to the shallot pan, mix well. Transfer to a sieve over a bowl and let any excess liquid drain out.
- Once drained mix with the ricotta.
- Now you can get a pasta rolling machine and I do plan to get one but with patience and effort you can roll it by hand. Make sure you roll the pasta very thin. Remember to roll out two layers, a top and a bottom for your ravioli
- Very gently make a mark on the base pasta sheet with the ravioli press so you know where to put the mixture. Then spoon a small amount of the ricotta into each space taking care not to overfill.
- Place the top sheet of pasta over the top and press out the ravioli shape. Leave the pasta shapes to dry our for an hour or so.
- Plunge into boiling salted water to cook. Serve with a light sauce.