I know that I am a vegetarian but even I sometimes feel the need to have big vegetable dinner. No not giant vegetables of the county fair variety, huge carrots and leeks. No, I mean a meal with lots of vegetables in – you know big veg dinner. I really wanted to create a new pasta sauce so I combined that wish and my need or vegetables and here is what I came up with. As a disclaimer this recipe has a whole roasted bulb of garlic in it. Fear not roasted garlic has a very different flavour than when you simply add raw garlic to a dish. It has a much sweeter taste and the smell issue i no longer a problem. Personally I have never had a problem with the smell of garlic or garlic breath for that matter, but raw onions, well don’t get me started.
This recipe is such a healthy tasty treat to enjoy whilst sipping wine and imagining you are in your garden in Italy looking out over a stunning vista at olive groves and the sunset – what can I say I love food and have a very active imagination.
you will need;
1 garlic bulb
1 large onion
salt and pepper
parmesan shavings to serve
- Take the top off your garlic and roast until soft in a garlic roaster or a covered ramekin.
- Meanwhile cook all of your vegetables apart from the aubergine in the griddle pan until cooked.
- Place the aubergine whole in a dry frying pan turning occasionally so that the outsides are blackened and the insides soft an smoked.
- When all of the veg is cooked blitz whole in a liquidiser or food processor. Do the same with the insides of the aubergine, the squeezed out garlic cloves and fresh oregano.
- Warm the sauce through in a pan an season to taste.
- Serve with wholemeal spaghetti and parmesan shavings.
- Eat enjoy and imagine Italy!