It is no secret that olives are great for you they are good for you skin they are high in monounsaturated fats which actually help lower you LDL cholesterol (that is the bad one). It also raises HDL cholesterol, (that is the good one) this helps reduce your chance of a stoke and prevents heart disease, all in all a pretty great food. As if all of the heart benefits weren’t enough for you the olive just never stops working.
1 red chilli split lengthways
- Zest and juice your lemons and prepare your chillies.
Mix the zest, sliced chillies and rinsed olives together in a bowl so that they are evenly distributed.
Add these back to your olive jar and pour in your lemon juice and cover with olive oil. The liquid should sit 1/2 an inch above the olives. You can use olive oil but I used a blended olive oil.
Slide the 2 halves of the split chilli into the jar. Put the lid on and agitate the jar every so often for a couple of days and also before serving. Remember to leave these for at least a fortnight before serving to allow all the flavours to blend
Garlic and Thyme Olives
you will need;
300g rinsed green olives
3 large cloves garlic
4tsp fresh thyme leaves plus a few sprigs left whole
- Peel your garlic cloves and cut into thirds or quarters depending on the size of them.
- Add all of the ingredients back into the jar once you have fully rinsed the olives.
- Cover with oil as discussed above.
- Place the whole sprigs into the jar. Follow the same instructions for serving as mentioned previously.