As a woman who lived in Paris for many years the term french toast is an elastic one. French toast is certainly more of an American invention I would guess it is loosly based on pain perdu. Then we also have the croques, a bistro staple. I would describe this dish as the bastard child of a croque and a pain perdu. In fact in reality this is the full on hipster foodie version of my go to comfort food.
Okay I am calling myself out here. I can be a massive food hypocrite. I spent many years working in recipe development. I also create recipes here, host pop ups but I love to eat crap from time to time. I am not alone, tell me I am not alone. My go to comfort treat was a cheese sandwich dipped in egg and fried in butter, I called it a cheese dream. I will let you just imagine eating things fried in butter for a moment – there is no greater joy.
Is there a time that one ever really fancies soup over something fried in butter?
Well I am now a woman in her 40’s with children, her own business, an allotment. Now is not the time in my life when I should be watching the Littlest Hobo in my pj’s at 2pm eating cheese dreams. No, I am at a stage in my life when I should be saying things like, “oh they have great salads” or “I quite fancy soup tonight”. I am just not ready for that so instead I decided to make the comfort junk food of my youth into acceptable grown up food worthy of a recipe writer.
Often cited as a kitchen appliance you will never use can we all give a moment of love for the waffle iron.
you will need;
- 2 slices of bread preferably fancy homemade bread this is a hipster dish after all
- 1 cup of grated cheese. (I mixed the cheeses between a nutty cheddar, a sage derby and some cornish yarg, I am a cheese lover)
- 1/2 cup of leeks sliced and fried with dried mixed herbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- mustard of choice
- a little butter for the waffle iron
- Roasted cherry tomatoes, optional (not really optional as they are too delicious to leave out)
- Slow roast your tomatoes in a little salt and olive oil. You can do this in advance and simply heat them up.
- Prepare all the ingredients as stated in the list and pre heat your waffle iron.
- Spread the bread with mustard, there are so many mustards to choose from so choose your favourite. I am partial to Dijon.
- Layer up your cheese and leeks. Squish the bread down and dip both sides into the beaten egg.
- Put your sandwich into the waffle iron, hear the sizzle and stick the kettle on, you will want to enjoy a mug of tea with this also.
- Serve with the tomatoes on top.
- You may need an elasticated waistband and a free afternoon to simply sit back, digest and savour the utter carb/cheese please you have just consumed.
This is honestly one of the most satisfying snacks/meals/better than an orgasm things you can make. I also make lots of savoury waffles too with lentils and goodness, would you like me to share those?