As promised I am sharing with you yummy recipes. Now with this being Sunday night supper I can assure you the meal is simple and quick to prepare.
Potato Rosti with Creamed Peas & Poached Egg
other wise known as; Incredibly Posh Chips, Egg & Mushy Peas!
You will need;
4 good sized potatoes
2 small onions
1 tin of mushy peas (homemade ones)
2 tsp lemon thyme
1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
2 dollops of sundried tomato paste
splash of lemon juice
1 tsp garlic salt
pinch of dried mint
1 egg per person plus 1 for the rosti mix
splash of white wine vinegar
salt & pepper
olive oil for frying
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees
- Peel and grate the potatoes. Once peeled squeeze some of the moisture out of them and discard the water. Peel the onions, half them and slice them thinly with the garlic salt. Fry them until golden brown and then add to the the grated potatoes and mix.
- Then add the sundried tomato paste, lemon thyme, salt and pepper. Mix in the beaten egg.
- Heat the oil and place the ring in the pan and fill with the rosti mix to the top.
- Fry the rosti either side until slightly brown, then remove and place on baking tray and remove the ring by running a butter knife around the ring and lifting gently.
- Bake in the oven for 25mins
- Meanwhile heat the mushy peas with a pinch of dried mint and he splash of lemon juice
- Get a pan ready with boiling water and white wine vinegar for the poached eggs. (vinegar helps the eggs stay together but using white wine vinegar as opposed to malt vinegar is better for the taste of the egg)
- After the 25 mins turn off the oven but leave in the hot oven.
- Now poach your eggs, place a rosti in the centre of each plate and drizzle peas around the base and a poached egg on top.
|the yummy result|
- Soak the dried peas overnight
- boil the peas until mushy, add boiling water as needed, they should be the consistency of creamy risotto.
- Stir in a knob of butter
- Then use the peas as described in the recipe above