Being a vegetarian I am always disappointed by the amount of recipes for mousse that have gelatin in. You can make a vegetarian friendly mousse. This particular recipe is not as light as others I have developed but this is more of a mousse cake/pie. It is rich though so be warned light lunches and dinners people so you can have extra big slices.
For the pastry follow this recipe but use plain white flour and add a desert spoon full of icing sugar.
you will need;
1 vanilla pod
6 eggs yolk
125g caster sugar
20g plain flour
200g dark chocolate melted
- Make the pastry cool, roll out and then bake blind.
- Warm the milk over a low heat with the vanilla pod until it is just before simmer point. Remove from the heat.
- Beat the flour and sugar into the egg yolks.
- Temper the beaten egg yolks there are instructions on that process in a previous recipe here. If you don’t do temper the eggs you may end up scrambling them. Once the eggs are completely incorporated into the milk return to the heat.
- Stir through until the mixture thickens, then melt the butter through.
- Remove from the heat and stir through the melted chocolate put into an airtight container and cool in the fridge.
- Once cool you can pipe or spoon the mousse into the pastry case and all that is left to do is eat it all up.