I really want to show you a complete before and after of this room, we changed a lot and it was the first room we painted. There is a house renovation lesson here, who’d of thunk it but this toilet, this tiny room was integral to so much plumbing that needs to be done on the third floor. So some of my freshly painted space now needs to be destroyed. Also I made a fools error, I installed a very smart toilet and neglected to tile behind it so when people wash their hands they make splash marks on my nice wall. So I need to find the perfect tiles, take out the toilet, tile the wall and re fit the toilet. Yes this room is more work than I bargained for.
So you might be asking yourself what we did on the toilet before the age of the smartphone, well we read books. Okay okay I hear you, you are thinking are we not on the loo to well, wee and poo, (I said wee & poo we are all grown ups here and can deal with that). The truth is that sometimes we need to take a little longer and wouldn’t it be nice to have a distraction to hand. Secondly if you have a busy life then you have to steal every moment you can to have some quality time and who am I to judge.
So here are the key points when choosing books for your loo.
- You need books that are instantly entertaining. If you require a book that you need ‘to get into’ then you may have a problem and you should consult a doctor.
- Short stories, these are something that the reader can pick up and put down.
- Poetry, again poetry is something the reader can flick though and finish within a reasonable time frame.
- Travel Guides, wouldn’t it be great to not be tied down by your physical location. You might be on the loo but your mind can travel the world.
- Anecdote books, these are great for the loo as you can normally dip into at any point in the book and still find a bit of enjoyment.
- Very very funny books. Sometimes even if you are out of sync with the narrative an extremely funny book is still entertaining, plus laughter may help you along.
- Plain old silly picture books, cat yoga, bunny suicides, that type of thing.
I have added in a few other essentials to my loo such as flannels to act as micro hand towels , soap, hand cream and some ornaments as every inch of your home deserves to be beautiful.