One of my favourite things about food, apart from eating it of course, is how versatile it is. A simple onion will taste completely different depending on if it is raw, roasted, fried. You can make is crispy or fry it slowly on a low heat and it tastes different again, cooking is amazing! Take garlic for instance when you roast it suddenly garlic ceases to be the harsh flavour and takes on a sweeter more subtle flavour, perfect for homemade mayo.
you will need;
2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp salt
1 bulb garlic
2tsp white wine vinegar
1 cup canola oil
- Place the garlic bulb whole and unpeeled on a baking tray in an oven at 200C until fully roasted. You can tell as the garlic bulb will be soft and squishy.
- In a bowl combine the egg yolks, salt and salt.
- Squeeze the cooled garlic out into the egg yolks and mix thoroughly.
- In a slow stream pour the canola oil into the egg mixture whilst whisking continuously.
- Your mayo is ready. Store in a fridge for up to 3 days.