I have to say I wanted to make a pumpkin pie but I also love to be different, some say I was born awkward and those people would be right. This pie turned out great so I was happy with my choice. The base is my classic cheesecake base with a ginger twist. The filling was adapted a pumpkin pie one that I found on all recipes with some caramel sauce added!
you will need;
1 packet of ginger biscuits
80g pecan nuts
30g melted butter
2lb sweet potatoes
100g golden granulated sugar
a pinch of salt
1/2 tsp mixed spice
2 tbsp dark rum
1/2 tsp vanilla
- Make the crust by whizzing the biscuits and pecan nuts together in a food processor. Melt the butter in a pan and stir through the biscuit mixture. Press into a pie dish and bake at 190c for 10 mins. Leave it to cool.
- Prick and roast the potatoes until soft and squidgy. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel them and pop them in the processor with the eggs, salt, mixed spice, milk, vanilla & rum.
- Heat the sugar in a dry frying pan until it starts to melt and colour, then add the water and stir so that you form a caramel sauce. Add the sauce to the processor and whizz everything together.
- Put the filling into the biscuit base and level off. Bake in the oven for 35mins at 150c or until set, (when it wobbles).
- Leave it to cool and eat it all up!